Image Map

Thursday, January 30, 2014

Chicken and Winter Vegetable Pot Pie


One of my favorite dishes that my grandmother makes is her homemade chicken pot pie. In South Jersey, where I am originally from, we make our chicken pot pie a little differently! Chicken pot pie as I know it, is not really a pie at all! It would better be described as chicken and dumplings, but the dumplings are rolled out thin and there is no veggies. Mmmmm! Grandma's chicken pot pie is the best and with all this winter weather we are having, it would surly hit the spot, but for this chicken pot recipe I decided to venture out on my own. I went with something that I thought would be really yummy. I wanted something hearty and something with winter veggies. 



This chicken and winter vegetable pot pie was so yummy and very satisfying to make. Sometimes when I look at recipes and see that they have a lot of steps I can get intimidated. I want cooking to be fun and relaxing and long complicated recipes are not always relaxing for me. At first this recipe seemed like there was a lot to it, but once I got in the kitchen I realized how enjoyable it was to go through the process of making a pot pie.
There was one part of this recipe that I didn't particularly enjoy and that was making the pie crust. I have never had any luck making pie dough! So for this recipe I thought that I give myself a break and buy the box mix. Well I even had issues playing with that pie dough (I'm sure it was me not the box mix). I'm not sure what it is about me and pie dough, but we don't get along. I don't even know what I am doing wrong. My problem always arises when I am rolling out the dough. For some reason I can never seem to roll it out even or transfer it from my floured surface to my pie plate. Don't even ask me to try to make pretty decorative edges on my pies. LOL My pies always taste better then they look!



After I made this recipe I called my grandma to tell her all about it. She wants me to make her one the next time I am home. The next time I want a chicken pot pie, I am gonna have to make my grandma's version. Both are so delicious and both can be a tradition in my home.


Hey before you go!!! What is your favorite pot pie recipe? Have any tips to help me with my pie dough skills?

Ingredients
3 or 4 Chicken breasts with skin and bones
6 cups of Chicken Stock
2 large Carrots
1 or 2 Turnips
1 bunch of Turnip greens
3 med size Leeks
1 Shallot
1/2 cup Flour
1/2 stick Butter 
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/2 cup whipping Cream
1 box pie Crust mix ( or if you are better at it then me! A homemade herb pie crust would go great!)
S&P
Directions

  1. In a large pot or dutch oven place the chicken and just enough stock to cover and set to boil. Once it has boiled, reduce to a simmer and cover. Cook the chicken until just cooked, about 20 mins. Remove the chicken and set aside to cool. Don't dump your stock yet, it will still come in handy!
  2. While the chicken is cooking, peal and dice your carrots and turnips. Once the chicken is cooling, add your carrots and turnips to the stock. Simmer until tender about 10 mins. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the veggies to a bowl. 
  3. Now add your turnip greens to the stock and cook until wilted. Once wilted, transfer to a colander and drain. Once greens are drained add to the bowl of veggies.
  4. Strain the stock and keep 4 cups. Don't wash the pot yet, you will use it again in a few steps.
  5. Remove the skin and bones from the cooled off chicken and dice. Add to your bowl of carrots, turnips and greens. 
  6. Slice the leeks. Only use the white and light green parts. Also mince the shallot.
  7. Melt the butter in the large pot used for the chicken. Add the leeks and shallots. Saute at medium heat until tender. Add in flour. Once your roux forms add in the stock and white wine. Turn the heat up and allow to boil. Add the cream. Allow the gravy to become thick enough to cover the back of a spoon. Pour into your chicken and veggies mixture and allow to cool. Add S&P to taste to your pie filling.
  8. Make your pie crust according to directions on the box. Bake off the bottom of the crust and allow to cool. Add pie filling and lay on the top crust. Place back into your oven at 425* for about 50 mins or until top crust is done and gravy is bubbling. Allow to cool and server warm.  TIP: I placed foil on the top of my pie so that my top crust would not burn. Take it off about 15 mins before your timer goes off.


PS. Do you like this post? If so you should check out Always Savory's Facebook and Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis