Welcome to Fun Food Facts A-Z!
This week's letter: B..... is for Broccoli
- Broccoli as been eaten since the 6th century.
- The average American eats 4 lbs of Broccoli a year.
- Broccoli means "branch" or "arm".
- California produces 90% of the US Broccoli.
- Thomas Jefferson loved Broccoli! He used seeds from Italy to plant in Monticello.
- Broccoli is high in vitamin A and Fiber.
- Fresh Broccoli will have dark green heads.
- Try to stay away from stalks that bend or feel rubbery.
My family and I eat broccoli all the time! I always have it in my crisper or on my grocery list. Here is a quick and easy recipe that everyone will love.
3 medium size Broccoli heads
1 tbsp of chopped Garlic
1 teaspoon of Lemon Pepper
2 tbsp Olive Oil
Dash of Salt
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Rinse the broccoli and cut into florets.
- Add your broccoli and all the ingredients to a plastic bag and give it a few good shakes.
- On a lined baking pan spread out the broccoli and bake for 25-30 minutes or until the broccoli is crisp.