I have to admit I don't really like cantaloupe. The only way that I do like cantaloupe is cantaloupe ice cream! My Grammy would make it every summer! Cantaloupe ice cream has a refreshing taste that is perfect for summer. With summer on my brain I can't stop thinking about all the summer food's I love. I will have to give my Grammy's cantaloupe ice cream recipe a try this summer! Be sure to pin the recipe so that you too can make this awesome ice cream! Now on to the fun facts!
Fun Food Facts:
- Cantaloupe was first grown in the Nile River Valley of Egypt.
- In the US sometimes Cantaloupe can be called muskmelon.
- Cantaloupe peaks in the summer.
- Cantaloupe does not ripen after you cut it off the vine.
- Store Cantaloupe at room temperature for no more then four days.
- Cantaloupes are related to cucumbers.
- Cantaloupes are packed with vitamins A & C.
- When shopping for Cantaloupe it is best to choice the one with the sweetest smell.
Next week's letter is D....what fun food starting with D would you like to learn about?
1 1/2 cups small diced Cantaloupe
2 1/4 cups Milk
1/2 cup Sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla
Pinch of Salt
- Dice Cantaloupe and keep the juices.
- Mix milk, sugar, vanilla and salt, until the sugar has dissolved.
- Now add your cantaloupe with the juices to your milk and sugar mixture.
- Put the mixture in the Fridge for 1 hour.
- Pour your chilled mixture into a 2 qt. ice cream makers and let mix for 15 minutes.