Image Map

Monday, October 21, 2013

Pumpkin Quesadillas

Sweet and spicy all in one dish!!!


 When I first saw this recipe I thought, why would anyone want to put pumpkin and cumin together?  My fondness for Mexican food and fall food made me have to try this recipe.


To my surprise the combination was delicious.  The creaminess of the pumpkin and cheese gave the quesadilla the fall feel that I was looking for and at the same time the cumin added the Mexican feel that I adore so much.  The recipe calls for you to fry them in a saute pan. I did, but I also baked some for 15 mins at 350*.  They both turned out good, but I do prefer the quesadillas fried.  It gave them a crispiness that I didn't get when I baked them. Next time if I bake them I might try them in the oven a little longer to get them nice and crisp.  The sweetness of these quesadillas would make them the perfect dessert.  I like recipes that explore different taste buds at the same time.  These pumpkin quesadillas hit that mark!  I am so glad that I didn't just pass this recipe by. It made a great snack and an even better taste experiment!
What is your favorite odd recipe combination?
Ingredients
2 cups canned Pumpkin Puree
1 teaspoon Cumin
4oz Goat Cheese
1/2 cup toasted chopped Walnuts 
6 Flour or Wheat Tortillas
1/4 cup Veggie Oil
Directions
  1. Pre-heat oven to 375*. When oven in ready place walnuts on a lined baking sheet and bake for about 7 mins or until walnuts are lightly browned.
  2. Mix pumpkin puree and cumin. 
  3. Spread the pumpkin mixture, goat cheese and walnuts on one half of the tortilla.  Fold tortilla over and press lightly to spread mixture out evenly.
  4. Heat saute pan with oil.  When oil is hot, fry tortillas on each side one at a time.  Only flipping once.  About 3 mins. You might need to add more oil in between batches.
  5. Let cool off and use a pizza cutter to cute four triangles.
Notes: I hate wasting food!  I bought a 14oz can of the pumpkin puree and didn't use it all for this recipe.  There is not enough of the puree left to do anything with so I just made a little more of the quesadilla mixture.  If you hate wasting food too, try to buy one of the smaller cans, or just make more like I did!

3 comments:

  1. Yum! This sounds so awesome. I am a pumpkin fanatic, so.. the description alone had me so, so sold! Thanks for submitting it to the Treat Yo Self linky party! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's hard to find a small can of pumpkin, isn't it? I love this idea for using the leftover bits. I've made similar quesadillas with sweet potato and cumin. I'm sure this would be equally delicious! Thanks for linking up to Tapas Tuesday Social Happy Hour. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations...this post was featured on Create It Thursday #26! Thanks for linking up such a great creation last week!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis