A twist on the traditional lasagna!
When it comes to Italian food lasagna is the one of the best. When I told one of my friends that I was going to be making a turkey lasagna with a white sauce for my blog, he was like,"oh turkey? Why would you want to mess with a good thing?" I live to mess with a good thing. I like to see if I can take something traditional and take it outside the box!
This turkey lasagna is a perfect example of outside the box! I like this lasagna because it didn't give me that over stuffed feeling I get sometimes when I eat Italian food yet was hearty and rich like the traditional. I enjoyed making it too. It was a bit time consuming, but I love being in the kitchen. The next time I make this I'm going to add a few more veggies. Carrots or zucchini would go great in this dish. I am also thinking about making another one and freezing it. I have a 5 month old so I know there will be a day when I won't have time to prepare a meal for the hubby. Also the next time I make this I will add a little bit more sauce. The sauce tasted great, I just wish there was more of it. This recipe is definitely going to become something I make for my family a lot.
What dishes do you like to make that are outside the box?
1/2 chopped Onion
2 stalks Celery
1 teaspoon Garlic
1 tbsp Vegetable Oil
1 package of ground Turkey
1 cup cooked chopped Broccoli
2 tbsp Butter
2 tbsp Butter
1/4 cup Flour
1 1/2 cups Milk
1 package Lasagna Noodles
2 cups Mozzarella Cheese
Salt & Pepper to taste
- Pre- heat oven to 350* and cook the lasagna noodles according to directions on box.
- Meanwhile in a large saute pan saute onions, celery and garlic until soft. About 3 min. Add the turkey and broccoli. Cook until turkey is done and set aside.
- To make the sauce use a small sauce. Melt the butter, once melted remove from heat. Add flour and mix until a white rue forms. Return to low heat and whisk milk and S&P to taste. Allow sauce to thicken.
- In a casserole dish add a thin layer of sauce to the bottom. Then add a layer of noodles. Top noodles with turkey, sauce and cheese. Continue until your lasagna is assembled.
- Bake in the oven for 45-60 mins. Let stand for 10 and server warm.