What is better then Mac-n-Cheese?
Everyone loves homemade Mac-n-Cheese! This butternut squash mac-n-cheese recipe is delicious and a bit healthier then the traditional. I relish any opportunity to make this dish for my friends and family.
They are always pleasantly surprised when they taste it and discover that it's not ordinary macaroni. I first found this dish here on foodnetwork.com and have adapted it to my family's tastes. I loved exploring this dish and coming up with a new twist. I hope you will too! Enjoy!
What new spin would you put on this Butternut Squash Mac-n-Cheese?
1 package of Macaroni
1 large Butternut Squash
1 cup of Milk
1 tbsp Butter
3 tbsp Greek Yogurt
1 cup shredded Cheddar Cheese
1/2 cup Jack Cheese
1 cup of Breadcrumbs
Plus more for topping
1 tbsp Siriracha (optional)
S&P to taste
Parmesan Cheese for garnish
- Pre-heat oven to 400*. Bring two pots of water to a boil.
- When water comes to a boil add cubed butternut squash to one pot and macaroni to the other. Boil squash until it is soft and macaroni according to the box.
- Puree the butternut squash and pour into a large sauce pan over med-high heat. Add milk, butter, yogurt, siriracha, and breadcrumbs. When puree begins to simmer, start adding cheese, mixing the whole time. When all cheese is melted and sauce begins to thicken add S&P to taste.
- Stir macaroni in the sauce until all pasta is saturated and transfer to a casserole dish.
- Sprinkle Parmesan cheese and breadcrumbs on top and bake for 20 mins. When done allow to cool for 10 mins and serve hot!